Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A look at the 1911 census

I have taken a look at the 1911 census which was put on-line yesterday. I did a search for my Grandmother who was just 5 at the time. The occupations of her siblings as listed on the census was interesting. I knew my Great-Grandfather was a miner but it was interesting that his two eldest sons living in the house were "rubber workers". I assume this means they worked in a tyre factory! I live, literally, a rolling tyre journey away from Fort Dunlop, who knows maybe they worked there.

My Grandmother's eldest sister Amy lists her occupation as "painter". I assume she didn't mean a house painter (or maybe it was, how common was that for a woman in 1911?) so maybe she was a painter in a factory. As with most of my family history research so far all i seem to find are more questions rather than that many answers!

No comments: